Thursday 8 November 2012

Sowerbutt's Lady

“I shall worry about them, Jimmy, and you can’t stop me. What if something happens to one of my girls or someone in our Family when the bombs go off? Explosions in the street without any warning when one of my girls is out shopping. Blown up, blood everywhere, it’s too horrible for words. I saw shocking pictures about the Jerry bombings in Rotterdam on the Pathe News at the flicks. I’d never forgive myself if something happened, never,” Polly shivered.
“I’m with our girls night and day, our regulars and the part-timers. I couldn’t bear it if they were hurt.” She whispered: “What if they get caught up in the shooting when the Jerries come. Might be out for a nice walk and a tank parks. All these stories you hear about the Jerries, it’s terrible.”
Sowerbutt smiled but said nothing to the attractive redhead as the cab pulled up in Eastbourne Terrace outside the grey monolith of Paddington Station
. Sowerbutt half-listened, the tough lady who ran the busy docklands brothel with a rod of iron was nervous about leaving her familiar metropolis. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Colour-Lemon-Surrender-1940-ebook/dp/B008USR7FA

No comments:

Post a Comment