Friday 9 August 2013

Sowerbutt's Lady


“Mrs Sorbay, what a pleasure to meet you and your lovely friend. I heard Mr Sorbay was out of town, so the least I could do was offer his dear lady my meagre hospitality.”
Jack Shakes ushered Polly and Dot into two comfortable chairs in the Whitechapel shop. “Bear with me for two minutes and I will have fresh cups of coffee for you, dear ladies. The real stuff, not the rubbish I give my credit customers.” Chuckling, the dapper little man headed out to the tiny kitchen.
Polly smiled. She was not going to tell the amiable tailor that she and her man had not regularised their relationship. War apart, she sometimes wondered whether Sowerbutt’s intentions were long-term. She looked at her bare ring finger; many East End ladies were putting their rings and other jewellery in safe places, worrying about being caught in a bomb blast.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Colour-of-Red-ebook/dp/B00B1CWM5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1358353851&sr=1-1 

No comments:

Post a Comment